Sunday, April 18, 2010

Summarizing the Bible. Day 1

I will be starting with Reading Plan 2. This plan is titled A Walk Through the Bible. It covers some of the highlights of the Bible in chronological order over the course of 28 days. 

Genesis. Chapters 1 & 2

The Third day God created the food He provided on this earth to feed the living creatures He created. He created the living creatures in 2 phases. Phase 2 has two parts.

1. The creatures of the Sea and those that fly the 5th day.
2a. The creatures of the Land the 6th day. 
2b. Humankind also the 6th day to have dominion over every single thing He created on Land and Sea.


God was very busy the 6th day. That was the culmination of all He did on this planet He chose to create life. Considering the 6th day was His busiest, I'm not surprised He chose to rest the seventh day! He was done by then anyway. 

But I began to wonder.  Six days to create life as we know it. I guess its more like life in its foundation to produce life as we now know it. I'm talking about the part of the vegetation and the plants and the creatures. How all of that has changed. Science has been a big part of the whole world's culture as they try to find out whether the earth is flat or not. The fossils that tell us there were dinosaurs. The tectonic plates that move and change the face of the land God created. The formation of Pangaea and its separation. The discovery that Pangaea was actually the second time that all of the land mass was together in one content.  


Also, time. Time is discussed somewhere in the bible. I'll come across it one of these days soon. But time to God is not the same as time for us. We have seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, and centuries. A century for us, could be the smallest of increment of time on God's clock.


So when God created our earth as we know it in 6 days, was that 6 days our time or His time?


My vote is that it was done in His time. Let me see if I can summarize why quickly.


Because God had to create a dome and a sky. Lightness and Darkness. Day and Night. There used to be just water, over time land showed up. The land to water ratio has varied, but water has always been greater by far. The first creatures God created was those of the sea. It even says in Genesis 1: 21 that God created sea monsters. And by verse 24 God mentions cattle as one of the creatures the earth brought forth. 


I believe there is a scientific theory that the ancient creatures of the sea migrated to land for food and eventually just stayed on land. Their physical features evolved and changed for new uses on land or the lack for need of them since they were no longer gonna live in water. And then cattle...those have not been around for as long as some sea creatures (or monsters) have. So one day to the next in existence has to be on Gods time because things on earth evolve slower in our time. 


The part about a dome and the sky, light and darkness, day and night- that makes a lot more sense that it came first. Those also did not happen in the time earth/humans function on. Science knows enough about what we call the universe that it takes us so many light years to travel to a star, planet, rock, even galaxy. And once we see things that are X amount of lights years away, you are seeing it the way it was that many light years ago. Very confusing, but very intriguing I think. 


So I suppose that it took God light years rather than days to make earth. That would then mean that He is outside the earth. So perhaps when we say He created the Heavens and the Earth, the heavens would be the universe as far as we know anyway. And heaven then when we die, will be out somewhere in the universe. Oh! Since God is preparing our places in heaven, maybe all the "places" outside of the universe are for us! Haja. This may be another blog in it of itself. Just theories though, and some nonsense. 


All of the above is mainly what I thought of when reading Chapter 1. But Chapter 2 still supports my theory. It doesn't necessarily go into any indication of time. It proves that there are details that went into what God did. So Chapter 1 just an overall of what was accomplished.

I suppose I am trying to correlate scientific discovery and what God did. Not to prove God is and was. Not because I think there is some lie or something wrong with this story of creation. I am confident I am not the only human being who simply wonders about these things and takes what others have discovered and tried to figure where it fits into what God did. 


I think I wonder these things because fitting the two together shows me the specifics of what God did and how over all these years its changed. I also like seeing the original state of something and how it has developed. It also makes me feel like I can touch what God has touched. Be where He has been. Those last two sentences I think are the core for these questions.